There are several reasons that foreign nationals are in Texas without proper documentation. In some cases, it may be the result of overstaying their visa or not renewing their green card before it expired. For others, there may be an error in their immigration history that causes a change in their status. If you are among the more than one million residents living here without valid paperwork, the team at the Law Office of Rafael J. Borras may be able to help. We often assist clients with a strong deportation defense.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the adjustment of status process allows you to get a green card. By doing this, you do not need to return to your home country and go through the visa process. The first step is determining if you are eligible for lawful permanent resident status. There are several categories under which you may qualify. Family ties are one of the most common ways to remain in the country.

If you are the parent of or married to a U.S. citizen, you may apply as an immediate relative. You may also do so if you are under the age of 21 and are the unmarried child of a U.S. citizen. There are several other family-based preference categories that you may qualify for if you have a relative who is an American citizen.

  • Sibling
  • An unmarried child over 21 years of age
  • Fiance(e)
  • Widow(er)
  • Abused spouse, parent or child

The process for a Green Card can be long and complicated. An experienced attorney can help you complete the required paperwork and understand the requirements at each step. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.